A short walkthrough to the OpenSolaris Developer Preview
As i wrote before, the first preview of the OpenSolaris binary distribution was published. I tried an install with VMware server and it worked without any problem. I created a walkthrough to the installation. You don´t really need one … i just want to show how simple the installation was …
- When you start the LiveCD you see an Icon “Install Opensolaris”. Click on it an choose Install
- I choosed “whole disk” as it´s only a virtual disk of VMware
- Choose an adaequate timezone
- Select a root password and create a normal user
- You see the summary. Click on “Install”
- Wait! Wait!
- When the “Finished” screen appears, click on the reboot button.
- Grub appears. Wait.
- Some first-boot scripts like the import of the SMF-manifests runs
- You have a completly installed OpenSolaris system
And when you look at the Terminal window, you might notice that the boot filesystem of the system is a ZFS file system. This is really cool. Kudos to the Solaris team for such all this work. And this is only the first preview ….